I am back again with another movie review – because yes I love movies, and there’s so many great ones on right now! Last week I watched one of 2018’s most anticipated movies; Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald.
For those of you who don’t know, The Crimes of Grindelwald is the 2nd movie in the Fantastic Beasts movie series written in an effort to keep the wizarding world of Harry Potter alive for all you potterheads.
If you haven’t watch the movie (or movies) yet the trailers for Fantastic Beasts #1 & #2 are down below!
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Movie #1)
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Movie #2)
What was great about The Crimes of Grindelwald?
- Newt Scamander is adorable and I love a strong Hufflepuff representative 😉
- Nifflers! Baby Nifflers! They’re so cute.
- All the old faves from the first movie are back; Credence, Queenie, Tina & Jacob.
- Also Jacob is h i l a r i o u s . Honestly, Newt is pretty hilarious too. They’re conversations are so funny but also very heartfelt. I love their friendship.
- Some very adorable Tina & Newt scenes.
- As well the old faves, we get to meet Newt’s brother & Newt’s childhood best friend Lita Lestrange (who’s gorgeous by the way).
- Oh and of course we can’t forget that Dumbledore and Nagini (who old time Harry Potter fans would recognize) also appear in the movie.
- Tones of awesome effects. The movie has a lot of magic in it (obviously) and the editors definitely pulled it all off.
- New fantastic beasts! Like this crazy creature:
Now, the last few times I wrote movie reviews I would have ended the article there. Usually everything I have to say is super positive. That’s because 1) I write these articles for fun, so I’m not going to sit here and dwell on all the bad parts of a movie 2) I genuinely didn’t have any bad things to say!
However…I do have a few little things that disappointed me about the movie :
- There was way too much fighting and not enough story. Although there were some great moments, I feel most of the movie was just a set-up for the next movies in the series. I definitely think it could have slowed down and had more of a plot.
- Some things don’t even make sense to the canon Harry Potter timeline. For example: McGonagall was in the movie…yet she wouldn’t have even technically been born in the time the movie was set.
- Johnny Depp as Grindelwald still kind of bugs me (here’s an article explaining why)
- Some of the movie was extremely confusing. And I know it wasn’t just me who was confused; I watched the movie with some friends and most of them were pretty clueless too. (To be fair though, my friends got Credence and Grindelwald mixed up so…I think that’s on them).
Despite all this though I would say I enjoyed the movie and am obviously going to go see the next movie in the series. Now I just gotta wait until 2020…:)