No this review is not for the Julie Andrews Mary Poppins from 1964. This is for the sequel that was released at the end of last year: Mary Poppins Returns. Because I’m a big Disney fan I had to see this movie, especially as the original Mary Poppins was my childhood (I even sang Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious in my choir when I was like 6).
You can watch the trailer here if you’d like: (or you can keep reading) (or close the tab) (I can’t really stop you)
Here’s how it was:
- Fantastic cast. Emily Blunt, Meryl Streep, Colin Firth and of course, my fave, Lin-Manuel Miranda.
- If you’re a long-time childhood fan of the original movie (like me), then you will definitely recognise the little easter-eggs and references to the first movie (but I won’t tell you, you gotta watch the movie and find them yourself ;))
- The banks children are adorable (especially Georgie)
- Emily Blunt as Mary Poppins is pretty funny.
- Some very cute and original new songs were made just for the movie!
- Very creative and wild adventures happen for the kids (it’s all colourful and I love it :))
Something I was a little disappointed by was there was no reprise of a song from the original movie (like Let’s Go Fly a Kite). Sadly, it was not meant to be. If you were hoping for that, don’t worry you can always go back and watch the first movie!
Overall though, if you’re a Disney & Mary Poppins fan you’re bound to have a good time at the movie.